#VSCOGirlsReadathon

In my heart I know who I am. I not a person who lies about their age, but I'm turning 30 soon and I wonder if I'm out of age for this readathon. Not because I'm not the age of a VSCO girl but because most of the readers participating in this readathon seem to belong to the younger subset of the 20s. But guess what? I'mma do it anyway. I'm enjoying my life and doing what I want!

Previously I did #Blogtober and that was a month of solid, consistent reading. So I'm hear for month long readathon. I did Dewey's 24 hour #Readathon and that was really fun too. I made a lot of headaway across a lot of books. But the more time you have the better off you are, especially, if like me, you're a slower reader. The VSCO Girls Readathon runs the whole month of January and I've not really started. Well.
Da Brat // a scrunchie aesthetic

A few weeks back I saw ChanelleTime's respective video announcing the reading challenge. I didn't watch it initially but then as one does, especially with specific niche videos, I fell into a binge and decided I was going to read along as well. But I'm not out to borrow more books from the library until I clear massive swaths of my NetGalley shelf, so I'm out to VSCO my way through my NetGalley reads.

In addition to a encouraging buddy reads and hosting a group book read the challenge also has several prompts in the fashion of a VSCO girl, each correlating to the building blocks of the VSCO girl aesthetic. The pinned tweet on the readathon Twitter (@VSCOreadathon) threads to a pretty graphic of the prompts.  Per usual I'll be blogging each of the books I read and tweeting throughout the duration of challenge. As I already put into that bluebird's ether, yesterday I selected a book for a prompt. If I haven't started reading the least I can do is plan. And so, voila, this post - me choosing the rest.

My strategy had been to just go through the month selecting books that fit, but no, structure's too much fun. The first book I've chosen is Master of Sorrows (Justin T. Call) for hydroflask. Essentially it's a villain origin story.
Every dark lord has an origin. You’ve heard the story before: an orphaned boy, raised by a wise old man, comes to a fuller knowledge of his magic and uses it to fight the great evil threatening his world. But what if that hero were destined to become the new dark lord?
I'd borrowed it last year but I still haven't started reading it, so I'm going to count it towards the second prompt, scrunchies, Burn the Dark (S.A. Hunt). It seems most appropriate for this prompt. The plot doesn't sounds super crazy from the blurb, a YouTuber who ends up in a real supernatural plot, but the red cover is so appealing!

Oversized t-shirts calls for a book out of one's comfort zone. I thought initially I was going to choice a romance book but after seeing my efforts of reading through A Discovery of Witches derailed, that's a hard pass. Plus I want to get through the books on my shelf, so I'll move one up to the front of the queue, one that currently seems the least interesting. So again, I had downloaded this book but had yet to read it, and because of the daunting eBook page count and my waning interest in the innately-dry-because-of-it's-genre murder-mystery thriller (that's why we read them, for the twists), my third prompt selection is Never Forget (Michael Michaud).

The VSCO prompt is hard because what does that mean, "a book loved by one of your faves?" Favorite author? Favorite person? Again, I have to go off of my shelf, so I'll choose the one that seems most popular of hyped. I think that's Followers (Megan Angelo). I feel I've seen people talking about this book, and this is another one that I'd downloaded in 2019 but didn't start reading yet. Sksksk and I oop, a random book. I have 12 on my Start Reading shelf so I'll choose this book using a random number generator and approaching the older listed book as one. I got one, so that's A Question of Power: Electricity and the Wealth of Nations (Robert Bryce). Hmm, interesting. The title pretty much says it all.

Polaroid, a non-fiction or nostalgic book. The Heart of a Woman: The Life and Music of Florence B. Price (Rae Linda Brown) is a biography about one of the first nationally recognized African-American female composer. Again, interesting. But I choose books I'm interested in, so there's that. Mario Badescu, an overhyped book. I think I'm going to leave this blank for now. I feel like maybe my scrunchies or VSCO prompt choices might end up fitting the bill. Shade? Puka shell necklace, a buddy read, is either a no or a given because other people are reading these books on NetGalley and it being a semi-social site, we're all buddies? I don't know. Finally, stickers galore I can't really do because I don't have any manga or graphic novels on my shelf. I might download one later in the month, but we'll have to see how far I get along with these books anyway.

With the books I still have to finish from last year and the three (two because I've already downloaded my hydroflask option) I've added to that list I have a total of 12 books to read in January. That's more than enough for me as I average about nine a month. But I am at least a quarter through several of those books, almost done for others, so maybe I will read more books. Master of Sorrows is one of the probably the longest NetGalley book I've downloaded, with the eBook numbering more than 600 pages. So here's to reading!

Comments

Popular Posts