Difficult (not really) decisions had to be made.

Somewhere along the timeline of my life I was told, and probably by several people respectively, I should not quit something once I start it. That regardless of how I feel about a task that I should see it through. It's a load on my schedule and spirit? Finish it, because you started it. I don't want to do anymore and maybe there's no longer a benefit to see this task through? Finish it, winners don't quit.

I have one incident in mind in high school where I had dipped my hand in too many pots and was being admonished for how it was taxing my individual efforts and then when I tried to lighten my load I was told to see it through. And I'm sure other adults in my life have echoed this sentiment, directly or indirectly, subtly or overtly. And I imagine it's this ethic that's been drilled in over the course of my life that is the cause of such internal conflict when it comes to reading and finishing books that are dry or that I lose interest in. Sometimes, as I've outlined with my NetGalley goals, finishing tedious tasks is part of a strategic effort, but in this case, with regards to A Discovery of Magic (ADM), it was a burden. Per my recollection I borrowed ADM back sometime in early to mid-October. When you (I) have a book in my possession for 3 months and I only make headway of about 20% that's saying a lot.

And ADM is not a boring read. I think, nay I know I had expectations and they were soured. I wanted a book about uncovering magical secrets and whatever quirks that journey may bring. However, as I read (what when I realized the length was to be a surprising long read) a budding romance took centerstage and it became horrifically clear that I was reading a supernatural romance. As I left to return the book to the library I was sharing my gripes about the book and how disappointed I was that I'd borrowed what ended up being a romance book. "I don't like romance" was met with "That was known." Apparently I'm not in tune with myself enough, or at least not as honest as I'd like to think. Henceforth I'm being extra-scrupulous with book blurbs.  I don't mind a romance organically budding on the side, but the central plot? No thank you.

I've added a GoodReads shelf for books I'm in the middle of and mean to one day continue reading. I've finally taken that next step with GoodReads and it's all thanks to ADM. 50% or less of me what's to finish the individual book to see if the story redeems itself and if the supernatural/magical plotline makes any headway. 20% of me wants to read the book for the remaining percentage of me that wants to just watch the series. because I can't say I was really surprised by anything in the 20% I read. One day, possibly, I'll finish ADM. That just won't be this year.

Comments

Popular Posts