#Readathon/@Readathon 2019: Reading Updates

As previously stated my goals for this read-a-thon are:
  1. To finish one book 
  2. To read a tenth of each book.
I have 12 books I'm currently reading and 12 books I plan to tackle through the day. Here's how I stand before the marathon reading starts:
  • Smoke by Dan Vyleta, (238/431) 55%**
  • *River Run by J.S. James, (99/30632%
  • *The Augmented Man by Joseph Carrabis, (40/268) 15%
  • *The Cult of Eden by Bill Halpin, (42/336) 13%
  • York: The Shadow Cipher by Laura Ruby, (303/476) 64%
  • A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, (104/400) 26%
  • Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, (52/528) 10%
  • *Rotherweird by Andrew Caldecott, (43/410) 10%
  • *The Princess Beard by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne, (37/329) 11% 
  • Final Girls by Riley Sager, (38/339) 11%
  • *The Flower Arranger by J.J. Ellis, (42/286) 15%
  • *Monsters and Mythical Creatures from around the World by Heather Frigiola, (58/224) 26%
(*eBooks) [Book Title, (Pages read/Total Pages) Percentage]

I'll be posting updates here and on Twitter (@QueenofBasPays). Let the reading commence!


~9AM Woke up, made breakfast
~9:44AM Nook constructed, medicine ingested, ambiance perfected
~9:50AM Starting with Monsters and Mythical Creatures
10:52AM I read up to page 90 in the book, completing the chapter of the next 10% as is my general practice. I'm abandoning the nook. My discomfort is taking away from my reading time.
11:21AM I'm finishing my tenth of The Flower Arranger and like I said in my first impressions review of the it, this book seems geared towards a non-Japanese audience. The half white, half Japanese law enforcement protagonist is musing over the disdain he sometimes feels against Japanese culture vis-a-vis the police(culture). Hmm. No.
11:37AM My tenth of The Flower Arranger is done and I'll be moving on to Final Girls. A hardcover book will be a nice change. I find the computer screen harder to focus on than the printed words of a book. Before I start I'm gonna get some food. I might take my book and sit outside by the kitchen as I eat the food I'll make.
12:46PM Going by my respective tweet I started reading around 36 minutes ago, 12:10PM. I'd read to page 72 of The Flower Arranger and now I've read to page 77 in Final Girls. Onto the fourth book and back to eBook format with The Princess Beard.
1:17PM Returning from a quick bathroom break, I'm about halfway through my tenth of The Princess Beard. I think instead of a quick YouTube break I'll push through and then take a 33% done YouTube break. I do feel a bit pressed for time.
1:46PM I read up to page 74 in The Princess Beard. Overall the books are all picking up. At least the one's I've read so far. I'm going to take a short YouTube break and watch a video about a yarn festival.
2:00PM I've instead watched a video about violins. well.
3:17PM Rotherweird was only my fifth book, but it took so long to read a tenth of it for some reason. I think my break should have been longer. I read up until page 83. I was going to wait until I hit the halfway point to take another break. Should I stretch? *
6:10PM At about 530 pages Doctor Sleep was my longest book. I ended up sitting at the dining table in a then quiet space. It's weird how the reading's gotten progressively slower. To boot, being that it's the weekend, there's an extra bolus of evening noise right around this time. But I am determined. Before I continue I've got to address my usual habits, specifically my Duolingo streak.
6:35PM Picking up again with A Darker Shade of Magic. Usually I'm rapturous to keep my streak, but I'm to enthralled in my read and the prospect of meeting my goals excites me.
6:38PM As a note, I read to page 131 in Doctor Sleep.
7:25PM As my surroundings become more boisterous I'm having to find new temporary reading spots. It should die down within the next two or three hours. Anyway I finished with my tenth of A Darker Shade of Magic. I have thoughts about Lila and I can only imagine what predictable cable miniseries magic romance we're gonna get with her and Kell, but I'll save those thoughts for my review. I read to page 151.
8:30PM The last page I read was 356, so I read up to 357 in York: The Shadow Cipher. I think generally that's how I've been counting pages. I'm reinvigorated with drive to finish as soon as possible.
8:58PM I don't know when it happened but sometime amidst my reading a song popped into my head, Aaja Nachle. I'd opened the song on YouTube where it'd been marinating in its own tab. I have some housekeeping to take care of, but with four books left (of the tenths goal), the end is in sight. Continuing on with the book that's is the most boring of all the ones I'm currently reading, The Cult of Eden.
9:54PM I finished that book, reading to 77 of 336. Wow, all the notions I had based off my initial read are only being reinforced. This will be a struggle to get through and one that I will get through another day, far into the future.
10:02PM Usually my day is filled with music and today has been a quiet day. Once I hit my readathon goals I'm binging some tunes. Onto the next one, The Augmented Man.
11:22PM For sure there's been a decrease in my reading speed, but also my body is winding down for the night. I also have things to do and the thought of them distracts me. Still, I'm determined to reach my goals. And do the things I mean to do. I finished reading, up to page 72. One more eBook and one more hardcover remain, and then I'm gonna try to finish York: The Shadow Cipher.
12:15AM Boo! I mean on the one hand I finished my tenth of River Run, but I thought I'd be done with all my tenths by midnight. Will I be able to read my final tenth and finish York: The Shadow Cipher? Before I go to sleep? And cook the food I've meaning to cook after I wash the dishes I have to wash? All before the readathon end at 8am? I don't know. I hope so.
12:18AM I just brought the last book, Smoke, and the book I plan to attempt to finish, York out from my room to where I've been reading, by the kitchen. I'd also read to page 132 in River Run.
1:52AM The dishes are mostly washed and I'm waiting to put the rice on so I can read as the food cooks. I might start reading as I wait for the rice water to start boiling.
3:13AM I have completely reading a tenth in all twelve of my books. While I put the goal first in both of my readathon blog posts, I have to accept that I will not be reaching my secondary goal of additionally finishing a book in the readathon timeframe. But I am proud of myself. I imagine the sum total of the pages I read is at least a book length. I'm glad to have challenged myself and made so much. 

**CORRECTION: I see that I read up to page 239. The correct starting percentage was 45% (194/431).

  • Smoke by Dan Vyleta, (194/431) 45%
    •  (238/431) 55% = [44 pgs] +10%
  • *River Run by J.S. James, (99/30632%
    • (132/306) 43% = [44 pgs] +11%
  • *The Augmented Man by Joseph Carrabis, (40/268) 15%
    • (72/268) 27% = [32 pgs] +12%
  • *The Cult of Eden by Bill Halpin, (42/336) 13%
    • (77/336) 23% = [35 pgs] +10%
  • York: The Shadow Cipher by Laura Ruby, (303/476) 64%
    • (357/476) 75% = [57 pgs] +11%
  • A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, (104/400) 26%
    • (151/400) 38% = [47 pgs] +12%
  • Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, (52/528) 10%
    • (131/528) 25% = [79 pgs] +15%
  • *Rotherweird by Andrew Caldecott, (43/410) 10%
    • (83/410) 20% = [40 pgs] +10%
  • *The Princess Beard by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne, (37/329) 11% 
    • (74/329) 23% = [37 pgs] +13%
  • Final Girls by Riley Sager, (38/339) 11%
    • (77/339) 23% = [39 pgs] +12%
  • *The Flower Arranger by J.J. Ellis, (42/286) 15%
    • (72/286) 25% = [30 pgs] +10%
  • *Monsters and Mythical Creatures from around the World by Heather Frigiola, (58/224) 26%
    • (90/224) 40% = [32 pgs] +14%

Total pages read: 516 
Average percentage read per book: 12% (11.7%)

Here's my Readathon tweet thread: Main body and tail fin

Comments

Popular Posts