#Readathon/@Readathon October 2019; A first.

I thought the 24 hr readathon I'd signed up for started when the day started. Along that thinking, I thought the readathon, scheduled for today, October 26th, was essentially a free day to read however and as much as you could. It makes so much sense though that it would start at 8 am instead. Everyone's up, or waking up. If you've prepared appropriately for it you might wake up early in anticipation and plan ahead. I, however, know better. I know my sleep schedule and general patterns and will be reading accordingly.

When I was working under the midnight assumption the plan was to read some chapters at midnight, go to sleep and resume reading when I woke-up midday (my sleep schedule's skewed once more). Before midnight I was reading as much as I could of each of the books I'm in the middle of reading so that when the readathon started I would be further along in each and closer to tangible finishes respectively. I've recently started reading books in tenths, so the goal was to be some tenth along the way in each book. Now that it starts at 8 am and not midnight I can read more of each book and push my starting point. Yay for that.

Apparently when I signed up I said I'd be tweeting the #readathon. That makes sense, I live-tweet a lot of things. My currently plan is to update either this or a separate post throughout the day with progress updates. I'll likely be posting updates on Twitter but also spoiler-free reactions to whatever I'm reading.

I've seen readathon vlogs on YouTube. If my computer had the time-lapse capacity I might have participated in that format, but I think tweeting or even blog posts about the event make it more personal and keep my attention on the books. What it seems people tend to do is start and finish books during readathons. With no real reading alcove or quiet space to stretch out in I don't have ideal conditions to even attempt that. And I'm sure even if attempts were made to start and finish a book, let alone multiples, in a 24-hr period it would not, because as I've said I'm a slow reader.

Instead my goals will be read as much of the books I'm currently reading so that I'm that much closer to finishing them. I'd like to finish as many books as I can in the month of October. Why? Well one, the bragging, two, the number I've already of books I've already read is a so much higher than I would have imagined, but three and most important, I want to return these books to the library. The eBooks have expiration dates and depending on the book I might want to read the respective sequel.

In order of priority, listed below are the books I'm currently reading and approximate percentages of completion at the time of writing:

  • Smoke by Dan Vyleta, (238/431) 55%
  • *River Run by J.S. James, (99/306) 32%
  • *The Augmented Man by Joseph Carrabis, (40/268) 15%
  • *The Cult of Eden by Bill Halpin, (42/336) 13%
  • York: The Shadow Cipher by Laura Ruby, (303/476) 64%
  • A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab, (104/400) 26%
  • Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, (52/528) 10%
  • *Rotherweird by Andrew Caldecott, (43/410) 10%
  • *The Princess Beard by Delilah S. Dawson and Kevin Hearne, (37/329) 11% 
  • Final Girls by Riley Sager, (38/339) 11%
  • *The Flower Arranger by J.J. Ellis, (42/286) 15%
  • *Monsters and Mythical Creatures from around the World by Heather Frigiola, (58/224) 26%

(*eBooks) [Book Title, (Pages read/Total Pages) Percentage]

My vision of success for this readathon sees me complete at least one book and read at least one-tenth, if not two, of each. As I sit here, looking at these books and plotting one which ones to read more of before the start of the readathon in a few hours, I'm realizing that's more than doable. Who knows, maybe I will wake up early? Or at least if I wake up groggy, maybe I'll try and stay up.

Stay tuned for my #readathon updates. You can find me over on Twitter @QueenofBasPays. This is my first Twitter readathon and I'm very excited. I imagine this is what they call reading goals.

Comments

Popular Posts