Why was I afraid?

I have a YouTube channel. Not just an account, but a channel where I post regularly content. When I, a book thot, found out about booktube and the fact that people make videos about books and reading I decided that at some point I would follow suit. But while I have almost next to no qualms about posting poorly shot videos I capture on my cell phone, reaction videos, and a myriad of other random content, I was really nervous about posting a video about books.

For a long time I couldn't figure out why, at least not until I started breaking down my fears to my sister. How was I going to go about talking about books? If I'm singing a cover of a song, the draw is the song. You saw the song name and you clicked to hear my rendition. When I react to a video it's the same. You come to hear thoughts on and see my reaction to the video I let you know I'd be watching. With few exceptions my videos have a center pull that shifts the visual or aural focus away from me and to the main draw of the content. With a video about books the focus is on my thoughts and my choices. I'm in the spotlight.

It's not the same as having a book blog. As a reader you came for words, not to hear me or see me. Sure you came for my thoughts, but you came to read them, not to see me talk them out. There's a stronger sense of distance. Talking conversationally without a visual focus is a new kind of intimacy. And that's an ironic thought for me to have considering my face is awfully close in foreground of some of my reaction videos.

Finally, two days ago, on a whim and after recording some other videos I recorded my first booktube video, a library haul. I was going to link it, but I think I'd rather you possibly find me in a search. But scratch that, that's dumb. Why am I nervous even now? Anyway, here's the video:



I don't edit most of my videos, especially not in a cute way, but this one I did and I'm really happy about it. If you happen to like my other videos feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel. Regardless I'm really happy I pushed through and did something I wasn't sure about. Whether it gets views or not it was a good chance I took on myself. I had an image of what I wanted in mind and I pushed myself within the confines of my editing software. Now I know more and have more technical capacity respectively.

Anyway, this has been a book related post that's not so subtly a half subtle, self-promoting plug. I just want to say that as a slow reader writing a post everyday for blogtober is proving to be difficult, but I'm determined to do it anyway. Again, thanks to you if you've read this far. Feel free to subscribe to the blog and/or leave a comment. I don't bite.

Comments

Popular Posts