Library Read // [Audiobook Listen] Caraval by Stephanie Garber

"Actor Soler's lively narration swiftly draws listeners into the magical spectacle at the center of Garber's YA novel" — Publishers Weekly, best audiobooks of 2017

Welcome, welcome to Caraval — Stephanie Garber's sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.

Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett's father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.

But this year, Scarlett's long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval's mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season's Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.

I watch so many TikToks, it’s hard to keep track of them. But I do have the distinct feeling that it was because of one that I chose to read Stephanie Garber’s Caraval. I want to say that it was a TikTok about books in which the protagonist ends up with the villain, but it might have been something else. I don’t know that I would consider that the case in this first of the Caraval series because the love interest was less of a villain and more of a rogue. 

I got my copy of the book through the library and experienced it as an audiobook. Rebecca Soler as the narrator was a excellent choice. Her transitions between characters were flawless and her accents, distinct for each, were  the cherry on top. The premise of a mysterious once a year, maybe less frequent, magical happening where wishes can come true already had me. Once we added the complexities of the protagonist, Scarlett, and her sister, Tella, coming from an abusive background it was even more compelling. I did side-eye my listen a bit when it was implied that there were “worse things” for Scarlett and Tella to experience at their father’s hands. I didn’t know if that was supposed to be a bit darker than what was actually presented, some type of darker stand-in allusion/allegory for those who needed it. But I’m glad it stayed where it did.

Literally everybody but Scarlett operated from a logical sense. And I understand the fearful, traumatic place from which she operated, but it was a bit played up. Because by the end of the drama that is the main bulk of the plot, Scarlett felt so offended that her sister would force a situation on her that she didn’t want, despite Scarlett attempting to do the same earlier. Yes, the point was made, but had she no self-awareness?

Listening along, the story flowed naturally. The writing was beautiful, but the plot felt like it changed as it moved along, a lot. I still don’t know what the overarching story is that this is part of a series of books. Obviously there are loose ends to be addressed. But had it not been for that last minute teaser of a bigger expansion of story I don’t know that I would have been interested to see the story continue. I chalk that up to Scarlett not being my favorite character and the romance devolving from its peak to feel a bit thin and predictable.

If I was going off of the narration alone I’d give this five stars. But I’m not going off of the narration alone. It’s not weak enough of a story for me to give it three stars, but I can’t give it five stars. Something about the character interactions, the lack of grounding in the story, for me, makes me pause. So this is a 4 star read for me. Or is it better to say a 4 star listen? I do plan on reading the next book, so there’s that.

Comments

Popular Posts