June 2021 Recap: Zilch and Blue aliens

I'm getting tired of reiterating, no matter how true it is, how many books I'm at near completion with and how the ball is ready to drop and my books read amount suddenly soar. I really am. But that's what is. But for whatever reason or reasons I finished ZERO books in the month of June. 

I thought I might finished some books but then I was in a less conducive environment for over a week. I thought I might sit and focus, but generally home/personal space has been in flux for almost two months now and it's somewhat hard to literally find a place to sit. Money is always an issue, so work opportunities are prioritized and reading takes a back seat.

But speaking of reading, on a whim I did search and learn that, indeed, I did have access to Ruby Dixon's Ice Planet Barbarians through Hoopla. So, through the sheer power of invisible internet pressure (thanks TikTok), I borrowed it. Available as an audiobook, I was listening with my sister. I think we both had the same reaction of annoyance and disgust when we realized the much ballyhooed, smutty book that internet is raving about and has recently brought to new heights of popularity starts off with a scene of sexual assault. A scene that was not at all needed, especially when plot-wise there were a gazillion other points to spin off to. A background, matter-of-fact scene that felt gratituous to add nothing to main character's development. Because when the threat of rape is looming, I guess one accepts everything else that follows?

I don't like not finishing books, even when I can power through them and give them the one star, but I'm not finishing that book. Save videos regularly coming up on my For You page and consistently reminding me of its existence, I'm actually not interested in the plot of these books. It was really a FOMO type read. The "let me see what everyone's talking about even though I wouldn't read this otherwise" pick. I didn't add it to my GoodReads yet or even put it on my currently reading on this blog. Save for my Hoopla history and my mentioning it right here, I could have let the fact that I borrowed it slip into oblivion. But, one, in the case that anyone reads this post, I want it to be known that I didn't like what I read of the book, and two,  I have nothing else to speak about in terms of how I read last month. 

I would love to say about how I'm so sure I'll finish a bunch of books this month, but let me not jinx it. I mean, I have to, my iPad is running out of space, but here's hoping.

Comments

Popular Posts