I do love me a handbag. [Collectable Names and Designs in Women's Handbags by Tracy Martin]

Vintage and future accessories expert, Tracy Martin reveals what to spot when buying both vintage and modern handbags which are already desirable with collectors or have the potential to become sought after in the future. From the Victorian miser bag to 1950s Lucite and the op-art designs of the Sixties to bang up to date modern examples such as Lulu Guinness's iconic Lips clutch, Tracy recommends the most desirable for collector's of all budgets. Throughout the pages she shares her top tips on which designers to buy from the past, present and future, how to avoid getting caught out by fake or damaged bags and where is best to invest. Together with a detailed social history on the designers and their bags, this lavishly illustrated book is a must-own for all those passionate about handbags..

I've never been the fondest of clothes shopping. My tendency is to wear out a clothing item until it can't be worn anymore. As I aged and gained autonomy in my clothing choices that changed, but not so much that when it comes to shopping I'm not preferentially looking at the accessories. Because really, an accessory makes the difference. Be it a necklace, bracelets, a stylish ring, the right shoes, or the right bag - the right accessory can elevate an outfit from pauper's garb to middle and upper-class resident. 

And so I will take any opportunity to respectively obsess over the most useful and ubiquitous of accessories - the handbag. Tracy Martin's Collectable Names and Designs in Women's Handbags is not an introduction to the tenets of handbag collecting and that niche world, but instead a highlight of notice designers and handbags designs, from a British perspective. As Martin recognizes, the book is not an expansive encyclopedia, but, for most, a highlight of popular designs from popular designers and, for other like myself, and introduction to some lesser known names. In fact, this was a quick read and most of it I read on NJ transit rides between Newark and Philadelphia. Chapters flow well into each other as topically the book is comprehensive and sequential. 

Do I see myself actively getting into handbag collecting, amassing Hermes bags I care little for but hording them for their resale value? No, and that's not what Martin encourages. Instead, I will continue to be mindful of my bag purchases, selecting individually what reflects my personality and needs. Still, I am now following a handful of mentioned designers on Instagram and, in that future where I have disposable or investible income, I might consider investing. Being that this is a British designer-centric publication, I don't have, as an American, so much interest in some of the more notable brands, but this was a fun peek into the world of handbag collecting. 5 stars from me.

Collectable Names and Designs in Women's Handbags (ISBN: 9781781597453) is due for publication August 31, 2021.

Comments

Popular Posts