Library Read // Attack on Titan, Vol. 32 by Hajime Isayama

Volume 32 

Determined to protect his beloved home of Paradis, Eren uses the Founding Titan's power in an attempt to wipe out the rest of humanity. As the droves of Titans press on, Eren becomes long unrecognizable as a friend, a brother, a savior...and soon indiscernible from a devil. Now, Mikasa, Armin, and the surviving members of the Survey Corps must band together with their sworn enemies—Marleyan soldiers and 104th defectors—to save the world.

So in getting ready to write this quite recap of my read of volume 32 of Hajime Isayama's Attack on Titan, I went to the Wikipedia to confirm my suspicions, that the 33rd volume that just came out like last week was in fact the last one in the series. Apparently not. I guess there's one slated for an October English release (June original) as well? Not 33, but 34 volumes and then that's it. I half want to start watching the anime to catch up, but I don't know if the manga and anime are set to coincide timing wise. In other words, I don't want anime spoilers if the anime finishes before I get my hands on the manga. Or do I? I think if I read it first I'll get the story better. But then I don't know if it'll have as much impact, watch the same story play out in the anime. Anyway.

So volume 32. Right of the bat, 4 stars. The action is fine. We're coming off the high of all of Eren's shenanigans. So we can't keep high tension, we've got to have a moment of recognition and reconciliation, a moment for the next peaks to start their simmer, to start their build. And with 32 volumes read, these downtime volumes tend to get 4 stars from me for that very reason. I don't know that 33 will surpass the craziness of 31. Either we get some ending where the heroes we want to win don't wind and we're left in shock from the absurdity and despair of it all. But there's also no positive ending where the aftermath isn't horrific.

I've also come across commentary that's starting to reframe how I'm thinking of the story.  And critical thinking, while never absent, makes it's big intro. For example, this one TikTok answered in part some of my questions regarding allegories and stand-ins. Because of the Germanic influences I'd read with a lens of WWII Axis powers, not thinking of Japanese imperialism, of which, while I know a bit, I have the most superficial of understandings. More seriously, I also read more relating to the first editor and his crimes. I'd been reading AoT not entirely sure about the details of the whole thing, but feeling guilty regardless because I'd continued in my read of a work I'd loosely heard was connected to a murderer. No matter how fuzzy I was on the details, how far can I ever justify that? I should try to be more resolute in my ideals. But then again, can I? Veterans write autobiographical novels all the time, novels that get TV and movie adaptations. I've read Condolezza Rice's biography (at least like a third of it, it was quite long). Presidents and heads of state are and continue to be. Unfortunately, I will probably never not consume media related to war criminals and sexual abusers. But I guess that's a moving target of a question in the context of creative works, what to consume and what not to consume? 

Moving forward my goals will be to be aware of such instances when I can, recontextualize my fondness for the art and/or artist, and disavow them whenever possible and most appropriate and/or timely. But yeah, 4 stars for this volume. I plan to finish the last two volumes, though I don't expect them to be available as library loans anytime soon. So I might have to buy an online anime subscription.

Comments

Popular Posts