Library Read // Attack on Titan; Volumes 21 - 23 by Hajime Isayama

Because I got access to a handful of volumes today (March 18), I guess we're doing another binge. It's been a few days so I don't remember so much. But because I am a greedy person I tend to keep at least the loan on last preceding volume when possible in case I need to go back and reference. It's come in clutch. Library tip! 

---March 21---

Volume 21 

Locked in desperate battle with the man-eating Titans, the Survey Corps gets closer than ever before to Eren's basement and unlocking the mysteries of their walled world. But to get there, they will have to make a terrible choice with life-altering consequences for every surviving human soldier...The megahit Attack on Titan anime finally returns, streaming on April 1!

I know that there's been some controversy surrounding AoT, not only for the author's ridiculousness and heinousness, but also for general Nazi allegory and possible propaganda? I'm not too sure. Everything I "know" is known from hearsay and not actual firsthand research. The plan is to read the volumes and then find out everything. But back to that Nazi propaganda. We're getting a lot of exposition in this 21st volume and I'm not sure yet if the Eldians or the Marleyans are the Nazis. But let's jump back before that. The sudden shift in Eren and Mikasa's demeanors was interesting to see, and I think better emphasizes a deviation from "purely altruistic" goals. A selfishness, a callous selfishness that I expect will only deepen in coming volumes. I expect that by the end of the next volume or the 23rd I will be caught up to the anime. Just because I'm still a bit confused as to what's going on and how the story left off in the middle of this historical retelling, this volume gets 4 stars from me. 

Maybe the foreknowledge I have going into this means I'm expecting certain things and that when I'm not getting what I penalize the volumes. But I can't help that and my entry into the manga series is a valid one, so my expectations are therefore valid. I'm just going to go along as I have been, trying not to put too much stock into the story as I know it. I'm also currently reading Elizabeth Catte's Pure America, so in-between this history of American eugenics and this fictional story highlighting sins of eugenics I'm in an interesting headspace right not to say the least.


Volume 22

Anime Season 2 coming to Funimation in April 2017! The blockbuster manga edges closer to its thrilling conclusions. The mysteries of the Titans are being revealed... who will escape death at the hands of giants and human beings?

22 Volumes, three seasons, 59 episodes. And from here on out it's uncharted territory. But what of the story thus far? I really thought it was fast pacing that left me with questions and general confusion. And while I did get better explanations and general story comprehension was a dramatic improvement reading the manga, I don't know if I should trust the story I'm getting as "it." Are there more reveals ahead? And in reality the anime hadn't deviated so far from the manga. I do believe the fourth season starts from a time skip so reading the remaining volumes will be a boon in that sense. 

The horror of the anime was in these near-cannabalistic humanoids terrorizing this group. The sheer size of them, their general imperviousness. And so, following the story as so far presented, the story is now one of humanity against ?superhumans? That's not following the obvious Nazi eugenics allegories. The one thing I definitely remember my sister saying is that she doesn't like having to root against humanity. I don't have that problem. If humanity is the scourge, then they're the scourge. But are we really heading towards such a predictable story? Like the characters in the story I still don't know what the truth is or where endeavoring to find it out will take us, but I'm eager to see. 4 stars from me. As an aside, the library descriptions for these volumes really rely heavily on traffic from the anime.


---March 22---

Volume 23

THE DREAM OF FREEDOM DIES The truth revealed through the memories in Grisha's journals shakes all of Eren's deepest beliefs. There is no rugged but free land beyond the Walls—there is a whole other world, equally full of oppression and war. Suddenly, the ambitions that have animated the Survey Corps for generations seem small and naïve. What is there left to fight for?

I think this volume provides a bit more depth to the story of the modern day Marleyans, the complexities of the oppressed Eldian population under Marleyan occupation, and several glimmers of a potential rebellion or liberation, in addition to some undercurrents of unlearned self-hatred. All of this to say I want more. To my surprise this volume skips ahead in the story four years. Where I thought the anime was leading with Ymir's story, so far, is not looking to pan out. And how successive titans don't have full access to the memories of their predecessors looks to be an interesting plot device.

Because I don't know the story from the end of Volume 22 on I can only theorize what's coming, I can't really give spoilers. What I'd like to see are the Eldian populace subjugated by the Marleyans, who at this point I'm understanding as the stand-ins for Nazis, rebel. I don't know how much ingrained loyalty and self-loathing can be undone, but I'd like to see. Unfortunately. I feel like I heard the possible spoiler that Eren switches sides? Which wouldn't make sense? I'm also waiting to see where this turns into pro-Nazi propaganda, if it does at all. 

Reading, I felt a special feeling of revulsion and pity towards the Marleyans and Eldians respectively. But also, how far have the technologies of the walls developed? Why did the founder titan renounce war? So many questions I'm eager to see answered. 5 stars from me.

Comments

Popular Posts