Collectivity. [Black Futures by Kimberly Drew; Jenna Wortham]

NEW YORK TIMES EDITORS’ CHOICE • An archive of collective memory and exuberant testimony
A luminous map to navigate an opaque and disorienting present
An infinite geography of possible futures

What does it mean to be Black and alive right now?

Kimberly Drew and Jenna Wortham have brought together this collection of work—images, photos, essays, memes, dialogues, recipes, tweets, poetry, and more—to tell the story of the radical, imaginative, provocative, and gorgeous world that Black creators are bringing forth today. The book presents a succession of startling and beautiful pieces that generate an entrancing rhythm: Readers will go from conversations with activists and academics to memes and Instagram posts, from powerful essays to dazzling paintings and insightful infographics.

In answering the question of what it means to be Black and alive, Black Futures opens a prismatic vision of possibility for every reader.

Black Futures, edited by Kimberly Drew and Jenna Wortham, is a collection of essays, interviews, Black curated and produced art, and other reflective think pieces on being Black, whether in community, in minority, in diaspora - all states of being black, and what Black futures might look like. I'll admit, I didn't really get too much of the poetry behind a lot of things being said, especially towards the beginning of the tome. But I'm not necessarily going to understand everything there is to understand at a give point. Who does? Not everything was for me. So I'm glad the editors open the book highlighting that the book is non-linear and to be used and perused at the leisure of the reader or user, since Black Futures serves as more Black thought and experience archive.

I will never not be in awe of how poetic Black writers seem to be. An ethereal, always philosophical tone is present. I'm never surprised because I see it first hand in conversations with my family, but it's always a beautiful thing to behold. Though open to non-linearity, I read the book linearly. I'm happy I did because cohesive thematic groupings had subsequent, increasing emotional effects on me. The gravitas of it all felt surreal, the collective sense of experience and understanding that comes when one Black  experience resonates with another. 

Several of the artists and musicians, the thinkers mentioned, highlighted, or contributing to this book, those I did not know, I am now familiar with. Some of them I am following on respective social media accounts, music from others I have incorporated into my playlists. As a collective work my rating increased as I read on. The loose nature of the collection, that for some might have lessened the impact, was leading me to a 3 star rating as I started reading. But as I read on and the import, the personal impact, the value of it increased, so did my rating. I'd love this in my personal collection. 5 stars from me.


Black Futures (ISBN: 9780399181139) was due to publication December 1, 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts