Hijinks and time travel. [So You Had to Build a Time Machine by Jason Offutt]

Skid doesn’t believe in ghosts or time travel or any of that nonsense. A circus runaway-turned-bouncer, she believes in hard work, self-defense, and good strong coffee. Then one day an annoying theoretical physicist named Dave pops into the seat next to her at her least favorite Kansas City bar and disappears into thin air when she punches him (he totally deserved it).
Now, street names are changing, Skid’s favorite muffins are swapping frosting flavors, Dave keeps reappearing in odd places like the old Sanderson murder house—and that’s only the start of her problems.
You're selling me a story about circus runaway gets involved in a time paradox? Don't worry, I'm there. I'm sold, end of discussion. But will I enjoy it? Will it be good?

Jason Offutt's So You Had to Build a Time Machine is just that, a humorous story about accidental hijinks in time travel. A cast of goofy, relatable characters find themselves traveling unwittingly through time and alternate dimensions as they attempt to reset the universe for lack of better phrasing. You have future versions meeting past selves in non-linearly, and alternate versions colliding with differing agendas. There's a lot to unpack from a sci-fi standpoint. Unfortunately that's where the book falls apart for me. All the sci-fi tropes and mentions were crammed in and the story lacks breathing space.

The changing timelines were in constant shift so nothing was ever clear and thereby the story came across as muddled and rushed. I was waiting for a moment of big elucidation, for a reveal of starting points and endpoints, and some plot points were connected across time, but I didn't get what would have given me the aha moment I was waiting for the book. I actually enjoyed the characters and their personalities, and generally I liked this book, but even their personas were ever-changing. I can't say I really understood the story and I'm walking away still confused. I can't confidently say I might recommend a book that left me confused. As I read my rating went back and forth between a higher and lower rating but in the end I have to give this 2 stars.

So You Had to Build a Time Machine is set for publication July 21, 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts