Reflection of the times. [Murder to Music by Margaret Newman]

Detective Superintendent Simon Hudson finds himself in a difficult position. Attending the Metropolitana Choir’s concert was intended to make him a supportive partner… not the head of a murder investigation. But when the conductor drops dead during the performance, Hudson winds up with a shocking list of suspects – including his girlfriend. 
Unable to keep his professional and personal lives separate, Hudson finds himself embroiled in the peculiar hatreds and spiteful grudges that dominate the Metro’s managing committee. Desperate to ensure his girlfriend’s innocence, Hudson must work quickly to bring the murderer to light before it’s too late. 
This melodic murder mystery, brimming with charm and wit, was first published in 1959 and was Margaret Newman’s first novel.

For a murder mystery written in the '50s, this could have been really bad. I'm really glad it wasn't. Margaret Newman's Murder to Music is a whodunit set against an English landscape and a post-war backdrop. Slow to build, but with seamless transitions, the short book, under 200 pages, brings a cast of well-developed characters to scrutiny with motives and suspicion abounding. 

The post-war reality and wartime trauma play big roles in the plot, and thankfully they're handled delicately and introduced subtly. I was waiting for characters to let loose offensive remarks off the cuff, as a matter of speaking, but that didn't happen. It didn't need to happen and the author knew that. Her story shone regardless. In fact, save for the occasional dating indicators, the story was quite timeless. More so earlier in the story, I found myself wondering when the story was taking place.

A quick read, once I got into it I sped on through. Social mores reflecting the time, their treatment was the one big issue I would take with the story. The story was interesting, but not riveting. I wasn't left with giant suspense or tense wondering who the culprit was, though the twist was a surprise. Would I recommend this? Yes, to the person looking for a quick murder mystery. Is my imagined audience limited because of issues I think people might take with it? Yes, but I did like reading this book so Murder to Music gets 4 stars from me.

Murder to Music is part of Agora Books' Uncrowned Queens of Crime series. Having read this entry, I look forward to reading more.

This edition of Murder to Mystery was to be published April 16th, 2020. 

Comments

Popular Posts