I chuckled quite a bit. [I Left the House Today! by Cassandra Calin]

Hilarious and relatable comics about one young woman's life, relationships, and day-to-day humorous musings on why it's good to leave the house sometimes—and when it's better to stay home.

Cassandra Calin’s ability to document the hilarity of relatable everyday events in a series of webcomics has generated a huge following on social media. This beautifully illustrated compendium of first-person comics about the trials of the single life, school, stress, junk food, shaving, and maintaining a healthy self-image. Cassandra Calin's comics frequently highlight the humorous gap between expectations and reality, especially when it comes to appearance and how much she can accomplish in one day. This book is funny, lighthearted, introspective, and artistically stunning—the perfect gift for young women, recent graduates, and anyone who might need a little comedic incentive to leave the house today.

The introduction of Cassandra Calin's second book, I Left the House Today, gears the reader for a collection of comic relating first world problems. The first couple of panel sets felt like a rehash of common memes or millennial grievances so I wasn't super sold, but as I started relating more and more to the humor and content I was rolling. Period jokes, societal pressures, the joys and pitfalls of a sedentary lifestyle - universal and modern struggles as experienced by the author were conveyed through fantastic illustrations. The illustrations! So nuanced, with slight differences of angle so accurately evoking the range of emotions in a panel set.

I didn't understand everything and not everything was humorous or relatable to me, but I found my laughs increasing as I progressed through the collection of comics. As my laughing increased in frequency so did my rating of the book.This would be a lovely book to have around the house for quick laughs, smiles and chuckles. 4 stars from me.

I Left the House Today is set for publication June 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts