I've been loved shrubbery. [Shrubs and Hedges by Eva Monheim]

One of my earliest and most memorable encounters with a shrub was an instance in elementary school. I'd taken off a little portion of stem, leaves and all, and apparently put it in a bottle of water? That must have been the case because I have never remembered what I did with the plant portion that I snapped off (though I also barely remember doing that either) immediately after the mutilation, and I would never have known had I not stumbled upon the discolored water and bottle under my bed weeks later.

And that whole incident sparked an interest in plants and their medicinal uses, an interest which contributes greatly to my general plant appreciation. But the point is that I have always found shrubs interesting. Not always beautiful, likely tied to my dislike of topiaries and general shrub shaping, but I've always found them interesting. In my adulthood, as my plant knowledge has grown, so has my fondness for the thickets that, especially in an urban setting, seem to pop up out of nowhere.

A practical, ordinary person's guide to choosing, planting, and caring for the world's most popular plants, Shrubs & Hedges delivers all the know-how you'll need to grow beautiful, healthy shrubs.

Eva Monheim's Shrubs and Hedges was an obvious request to read because one, I've not seen a focus on shrubs and hedges in a garden book before, and so two, I was really interested to see where it would go. And I definitely feel like I've learned a lot of new information about what can be done with shrubs and hedges, including how, even though in my head when I hear shrubs and hedges I initially think of low height plants, shrubs and hedges encompasses a wider variety of plants. What I expect will stay with me most is one of the most ecologically important uses for a shrub, erosion control. That use and its role in ecological restoration is not new information to me, but I always appreciate reading about it.

The pictures were vibrant and the information pertinent. I enjoyed my read and so I'm giving this 5 stars on GoodReads.

Shrubs and Hedges was published March 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts