Feeling inspired. [When Pain Is Real and God Seems Silent by Ligon Duncan]

Are you feeling despondent, depressed, or discouraged? When we encounter severe trials and suffering, we are often tempted to think that our situation is somehow out of God’s hands. In these dark times, God seems silent, and we feel isolated, confused, and alone. Everyone experiences suffering; even the biblical writers expressed anguish at times. This emotion is clearly captured in the Psalms. Through these brief meditations on Psalms 88 and 89, Ligon Duncan shows us how to respond to our own suffering with the assurance of our heavenly Father’s mercy, which sustains us even in the darkest circumstances.
Brief studies on two psalms focused on suffering and pain was exactly what I was in the mood for when I requested Ligon Duncan's When Pain Is Real and God Seems Silent. Focusing on Psalms 88 and 89, the book purported to provide brief studies or meditations on each Psalm and contextually them or provide guidance for how we can contextualize our pain through them. As someone who identifies as a Christian, I was excited for this read and how it might edify my own understanding of the word.

Beautiful commentary and pertinent reflections on the respective Psalms are in store for the reader. I felt inspired and uplifted, but I suppose that goes with the territory. As I read I thought of how my mother and aunt would most also enjoy the text. I thought of how this would be a lovely book to keep on the shelf for reference in times of pain or struggle or whenever the desire to meditate on the word so hit. However, while the foreword does explain that each respective study is in fact a transcribed and edited sermon of Duncan's, it didn't quite capture the degree to which sermonizing would be including.

As much as I don't want to, though there's nothing wrong with my doing so, it feels weird to critique the sermons being presented. Still, thoughtful critique and consideration are part of the edification of knowledge. And so I can't say I much cared for what I perceived to be an alarmist and calamitous tone towards the end of one chapter. If I were in a church listening to this sermon or in a Bible study wanting open discussion on what we can take from these Psalms, I would have made a questioning face.

And so my biggest and only real issue with this book is whatever issue is take with the sermons themselves. And I can't exactly describe my issue, but I know that I was left with some feeling of discomfort. That aside, this was a lovely book to read and I would still recommend it, especially to my aunt. 4 stars from me.

When Pain Is Real and God Seems Silent is due for publication April 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts