My first manga! [Jujustu Kaisen, Vol. 1 by Gege Akutami]

I've been about that anime life for a long time. When my sister's relationship finally brought her into the fold it also took her to the world of manga. I've not been someone who's needed to read the manga to enjoy its adaptation. When I learned that the Toriko manga ended I tried to catch up and read some chapters from around where the show left off for some semblance of closure. That didn't work, and the experience wasn't the same. Since then, whenever I've tried to get into reading manga,  I've tried to only start with titles I have no foreknowledge of and from respective beginnings.

Likely I was perusing the comics and graphic novels category page on the NetGalley website when I saw this first volume of Jujutsu Kaisen available for request. Not unfamiliar with book publication schedules, in specific translated works, I'm not surprised that this edition was set for publication January this year, though some version of the volume was apparently released December 2019. According to old faithful Wikipedia, the series first appeared in issues of Weekly Shonen Jump back in 2018. As I've said, I'm not familiar with manga and manga publication phases, but from what I know of other published works that tracks.

The premise of a high schooler suddenly thrust into a unknown world and burdened with great responsibility is not unknown to me from many an anime adaptation. I wasn't sure I'd be interested in that story here when I read the description. I think my main push to request this title was to push my personal reading boundaries. But I'm happy I did because I really enjoyed this book.

A humble, unassuming, self-sacrificing protagonist is my favorite type. A whole cast of reasonable characters with realistic (as realistic as you can get being a demon hunting, curse hunting high schooler) outlooks is all I ever want. Here I get both. I want to see this get adapted. Not just because I'm lazy, but because I think it'd be a fun adaptation.

I have no idea where this story is going. The second volume was just released today apparently. The third, set for release in April, is available for pre-order. Surprisingly I want to read more. Besides the weird placement of the page explaining reading order at the end of the book I've got no complaints. A shining 5 stars from me.

Comments

Popular Posts