Making dents.

Between my long inverted sleep schedule and the drowsy state the cetirizine I take for this so-called urticaria keeps me in, I'm not getting as many hours out of the days as I could be. While staying up til earlier hours of the day has its benefits, I miss waking up at 8 a.m. or earlier, seizing the day ahead of me. The times I'm successful in reverting my sleep schedule so that my day begins earlier that never lasts, usually because some family event or need pushes me to stay up later and I do and it all falls apart. Sometimes I end up out later because I'd spent the day working and I come home and talk and sleep later. Whatever the reason, epilepsy has a lion's share of the blame.

But I'm not meaning to talk about my sleep schedule, but my general reading habits. Yes, again. Generally I wake up, I take care of my routine tasks, and besides spending the day looking for work (gig economy for life) or working on the internets, I'm either watching some video or reading. As of late reading has taken precedence. Sometimes I mix that time and alternate between video and reading to motivate my reading and stay entertained.

I've been trying to stick to my 10% reading at a time but I can't always complete that. As February approaches it's end I'm eyeing books I to finish before the month is over. Some of those books I've earmarked I've barely read. So instead of taking breaks between tenths and trying to finish one book, what I'm going to do today is read either tenths or chapters of each book, but for several books. Right now as I write this sentence it is 2:05 p.m. I woke up and ate already so I'm ready to go. I won't have as many hours to do this today as I could have a different day, but oh well, YOLO. I will be updating this post as a day journal to document my reading efforts.


2:08 pm
I downloaded The Heart of A Woman a while ago. With a publication date later in June, it hasn't been a priority. Still, my efforts today are not about prioritizing books but reading a lot across a lot of different books.

2:50 pm
As I started my read I carried one a loose conversation with my mother. My efforts were interrupted as I helped my mother carry a cart down the stairs, checked the mail, and took out garbage. I read the foreword, acknowledgements, and sources sections that precede the introduction. I got through about 19 pages. I'm gonna take a quick break to try and record a song, but then I'm continuing on to another book. I should have access to this book for a while so again, not a priority, but I'm glad I read what I did because now I'm more invested in my future read.

4:01 pm
I'm not done with my singing project, but I made inroads. Had the program not stalled and shut down I would have still be editing. Now I'm reading Never Forget. I don't know what had been the issue, but the TTS in PocketBook Reader wasn't working. Well it is now.

4:17 pm
After pausing at a natural break in the chapter I'd started, I continued on editing the video I'd recorded. But in catching glimpses I was able to finish the chapter.

6:14 pm
I managed to finish editing and publish my video. Having been tasked with cleaning up areas of the abode that don't fall under my purview, I continued my read via the TTS feature of PocketBook Reader. I managed to listen to two more chapters. I'm switch to a different book now, Followers. I'll be listening because I'm still cleaning.

6:53 pm
Still cleaning. Can't find a bag I was instruct to stuff things into, but I'll work around that. I listened to one chapter of Followers. I don't know if it's a new update or something but TTS is reading everything and it's annoying. Previously in my listens of Never Forget TTS never read the author or page name, but this time it did. My eBook file of Followers has a long number at the bottom of each page, so I get that interuption too. I don't know if it all depends on how the file is formatted or what. But I'm gonna read a new book or watch something on YouTube.

8:01 pm
Cleaned. Still cleaning. Heard a chapter of A Question of Power: Electricity and the Wealth of Nations. Gonna listen to something else as I clean. Might take a break to watch something.

10:23 pm
I listened to music, I made some dinner (two hot dogs, each in a slice of butter bread - my heart, my arteries), and I cleaned some more. I'm mostly done with cleaning. The benefit of TTS when you can also read along is that sometimes you read ahead and finish earlier than the speech would have had you end. So I finished another chapter of is The Unspoken One. I don't know if I'll rotate in another book or revisit something I read earlier. I think I'm leaning towards the latter.

10:59 pm
Just spent half an hour on YouTube. Back to listen-reads!

02:36 am
As I said earlier, my day starts and ends later than it should. According to GoodReads it was about 35 minutes ago that I entered in my page update for Never Forget. I essentially read a tenth today. I'm not sure if I'll make more inroads in any books "today" because family's over. So I think I'll call this it for the day's entries.

I have really been failing miserably at the #TBCReadathon. Maybe in the future I'll vet my readathon choices to an extreme, because I just do think my TBR and me, that we were ever going to be suited to this event. Yes, I was in the middle of books at the beginning of February, but I don't much do re-reads or get into series in general. Admittedly, this might have been the time to get back into the Mr. Mercedes or pick up from the last Rick Riordan book I read. But no, my current reads are so tantalizing.

I'm glad I challenged myself today because it gave me a glimpse into my reading habits. I think I have to do this soon again to establish patterns, because today was a day where interruptions were to be expected. Reading, as with life, can't always follow a schedule, but instead should be accomodated around unexpected interruptions. But I'm glad I read from several books today. It made the experience all the more fun.

Comments

Popular Posts