I learned things. [World's Greatest Wonders by Editors of Chartwell Books]

Oftentimes I am surprised when I shouldn't be. Out of Chartwell Books, World's Greatest Wonders, also known as World's Greatest Wonders: From Nature's Special Places to Stunning Masterpieces Created by Outstanding Artists and Architects, lets you know from it's picturesque, postcard cover that you're in for a trip around the world, admiring and deconstructing some of the most famed natural and manmade wonders of the world.

Generally speaking, and especially true for travel/voyage tours like this one, it's very hard to avoid a Western lens, a settler taste, in storytellings of histories and ancient artworks. This text is no exception. And I assume it's just the load that comes from living in the Western world, but Indigenous peoples of "New World" or non-"Old World" cultures are portrayed, seemingly unknowingly, in a subtle context of civility; their ways were strange and they didn't know better. Okay, storyteller's voice.

Nonetheless, the round the world, visual tour World's Greatest Wonders takes the reader on is magical. Short four page sections devoted to each highlighted wonder lay out a respective history supported by wondrous detailing photographs. A lot of terminology I had to look up was presented, so my vocabulary expanded. I'm not mad. Generally speaking I do wonder about the locales and architectural works selected, but again, the eye of the curator.

So I enjoyed the reading and learning more about select wonders of the world. Why am I giving this 4 stars? The wonders of the world highlighted here were a bit generic. Better said, this felt a bit touristy. I knew, at least by name, a majority of the highlighted wonders. The education I savored really came in intimate details presented, but even that was at times too technical for what is otherwise a surface level, introductory book. Most egregious is the colonial slant that shines through the book. Multiple entries make use, in some variation, of the term "virginal beauty" in describing previously untouched or unknown lands and sights. Sighs in systemic colonialism. But I enjoyed it. I think other interested readers would too.

World's Greatest Wonders is due for publication August 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts