Electricity is wild. [A Question of Power by Robert Bryce]

I expected Robert Bryce's A Question of Power: Electricity and the Wealth of Nations (AQP) to be a detailing of the link between electrification and the wealth of nations, a report on global disparities and there relationship to electric statuses worldwide. And to a small degree that was the case. Moreover however, AQP is a thesis on the future of electricity and how it relates to the wealth of the world, wealth not only in monetary terms but in abstract concepts like education and health measures.

For any text that presents facts and makes an argument there will always be a stance, a slant, a bias that is seemingly obvious. Towards the end I did question some stances put forth as factual to the degree of googling them and finding contrary information. So while at the onset of my read, and generally still, I like to think of myself as idealistically liberal and hopeful when it comes to future energy goals AQP presented a lot of factoids and an argument that really made me question the tenets of my environmental policy opinions. In a general sense AQP presents a two part thesis. One, increased electrification of the world is a top priority for the betterment of all. Electricity is a human right and the millions who are respectively under-powered need access. One hundred percent agreed, even before this read. Second, the push of large scale elimination of fossil fuels and a transition to renewable, so-called sustainable energy is in fact, not feasible, not practical.

While my feelings on the future of energy production felt relatively solid, I learned a great deal I did not know reading AQP. The histories and politics of energy productions in the U.S. and worldwide were fascinating reads. Learning more of the failings of sustainable energy production sources and hearing the argument for nuclear energy, no matter how biased I found the overall balance of the argument, was a compelling and elucidating. While I don't think the book title completely matches what the book actually provided, I have to admit I enjoyed the read. As I read on I became more aware of my daily electricity usage and gained a greater appreciation for accesses I've taken for granted.

I think I'd solidly recommend this book. The transitions between chapters made sense. The writing style, though at times corny and overly purposefully impersonal, was engaging. I can definitely see this as a book to read on a college syllabus. Hopefully that syllabus would have a similar quality book with a different outlook, but still. Because of my issues with the slant, I wish I could give it a half score, but 4 stars is quite fair, appropriately and justly awarded.

A Question of Power is due for publication March 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts