A generic ticking. [Roku by Cullen Bunn, Ramon F. Bachs]

A sexy, assassin with hidden secrets and a lost past discovers she has lots to learn about herself and her lost (but still there) humanity. But make the assassin a redheaded, hot-headed woman and we're sold? No. It ticked all the boxes, but I still didn't like it. Cullen Bunn and Ramon F. Bachs' Roku, it's a old tale. It's been done before. The format of the story was predictable.

The titular character served as narrator, providing exposition and insight with an overhead inner monologue. Instead of a nuanced story we had panels of the type of generic you'd expect from a female psychic who controls her hair as a weapon. As a positive I don't recall any moments of flippant sexualization. Besides an emphasized form I don't really recall anyone being sexualized, and that's always a positive.

I didn't really enjoy the book. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good or thrilling either. I really had to revisit the NetGalley ratings FAQ, because it didn't feel appropriate to give it a low score. But thinking about it, I really wish the story had been more detailed, more subtly nuanced. So I'm going to end up giving this 2 stars. I think there are people who would like it, but in this case I am not people. The cover art is beautiful though.

Roku's expected publication date is March 24th, 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts