A waste. [Codex by Lev Grossman]

I know I started watching The Magicians before I'd heard of this book. The entertaining TV series based on Lev Grossman's magical series is one of my favorites. I was under the impression this book was one written after those but apparently not; Codex was written in 2004. So going into this, seeing how much I loved the TV adaptation of his other (and later) work, I thought I was in for a real treat. Let me say, I'm so dissatisfied with this ending.

Synopsis:

Rich, young banker is drafted into a mysterious task by his wealthy patrons weeks before he's to move across the Atlantic for his bigshot new promotion. White young Manhattanite banker stumbles into a connection with frigid, but beautiful super genius, sexy librarian chick who does 90% of the intellectual legwork for him. Despite there being no real build-up on any connection, and with the context of creepy banker's specify and lingering male gaze, eventually, and over the course of only a month, young banker becomes enamored and possessive of hot librarian. Genius librarian also arbitrarily mentioned to be only 19 or 20. Banker and librarian work to find secret tome that may or may not contain secrets. Spoilers, it does. Secrets are revealed to the reader, but the person who wanted them revealed is foiled in a double-cross for money. Double-cross is not solidified as justified, in fact multiple occasions indicate prevailing party as being a evil bully with money and influence. Evil bully barely characterized, relatively no direct interaction with banker or librarian detailed. Female loser in the duel of the elite personified as mercurial after being sexually objectified throughout.

Review:
No. Don't waste your time. There's no satisfaction, just an increased awareness of the creepiness of the male gaze. Oh, she bent the wrong way is why you're looking at her boobs? Her scapula really merit such lingering attention? Sure.

I thought we might get hit with the "it was all a game" trope or the "it was all a game of pawns" trope.  I feel like this reminds me of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, in the sense that the ending was stupid and loosely philosophical and I was taken for a ride.

This was not a NetGalley read, so I'll proceed primarily by my understanding of the GoodReads rating system. It was okay. The writing style wasn't terrible. The characterization of a certain subset of the New Yorker population and their outlook on minorities was accurate, but I loathe the inspiration. 2 stars. I'm not recommending it, so also per NetGalley the same.

Comments

Popular Posts