Adult things.

My sister asks me why I don't just stop reading books when I find them cumbersome and boring. I answered her that sometimes books pick up. I'm also trying to see commitments through. If I've committed to reviewing a book I'd like to finish it. I'm a completionist, what can I say? Maybe the day will come where I find a book so offensive I refuse to finish it but I don't know that that day is anywhere near.

Sometime back in November, on one of the days I was either returning or borrowing a DVD from the library (probably during a period where the internet was not available), I'd seen and borrowed a wishlist book, The Institute by Stephen King. If I'm honest the book flap description is vague to the point of disinterest. I borrowed it and had renewed it twice but had yet to read the first page. Because I've set arbitrary reading goals for myself, I want to read as many books as I can in December and there's special emphasis on the ones I get from NetGalley. I can't have that book that I've had for more than a month continue to sit around staring me in the face, highlighting book guilt, and honestly say I'm going to read sometime later this month, before the year ends. I want to read it to know the story, especially since it's a newer book, but I'm not dying to read it. And so I made the very adult decision to return it.

Being able to honestly reflect on my goals, my capacity, and my efforts and say "I can't do this right now, I'll visit it later" is a very adult thing to do and anytime I do it I like to highlight it out to myself. I returned the book earlier today. Maybe in 2020, if I'm in the right mood, maybe I'll borrow it for an earnest read. Shoot, even as I write this post I'm thinking about whether or not I'll realistically read the other Stephen King book I borrowed (eBook), The Talisman. I'm quite sure it's the longest eBook I've had and probably the longest book I'll have read in recent history. At 688 pages, it's more than 100 pages longer than the last book I'd read, Doctor Sleep. I have two weeks before it expires so I'm not going to call it quits yet, but I have to be cognizant and make the appropriate efforts in time.

Comments

Popular Posts