Underwhelmed. [A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab]

I really, truly thought I was starting a series that might become a staple. I don't remember how this book ended up on my wishlist on OverDrive but it did. As soon as I'd borrowed it the wave of hype hit and I was even more excited. As I'd said previously the concept of the book was really appealing. But I can tell you exactly when it started losing me - Lila.

The archetype of the female would-be heroine with a rough upbringing who does what she has to to survive is tired enough, but then she's not sympathetic. I don't care for her would-be struggles. Oh, she has to resort to thieving. Oh, she's coming along whether you like it or not. Bruh. How bland and entitled could you get? Her last minute romance with Kell was forced and predictable. Goodness forbid a man and a woman are companions and don't develop romantic feelings for each other. Goodness forbid. 

My favorite character, Holland, who was presented as stronger and smarter than the main character, died a pitiable death. The twins who were scheming to take over a kingdom from the inside were thwarted so easily? The set-up for Calla's future importance is wild, the would-be foreshadowing that, oh, maybe Lila is an Antari from Grey London (did the lack of magic atrophy her eye and that's why she has a glass substitute?) is not subtly or artfully presented in the least. Is there going to be a love triangle with Rhy? If so, color me unimpressed.

If only to finish the story I will probably continue on with the series. Am I in an rush to do so? No, not at all. I imagine the next book will see more romance and Lila's development as a magic wielder if not the "discovery" that she's an Antari or some powerful mage, because how could she not be. Female character also has to have power to approach semblance of equal ground with overpowered main. Only two questions keep me interested in this series. Holland must be alive and I can only assume that Vitari might possess him. One, is that what's going to happen? Or will there be a romance between Holland and Lila? It could all turn around for me if that was the case (look at me writing these guesses as if the books haven't already been written). Two, what's the truth about Black London? I don't think Black London is dead and its people gone. What's the truth? Anyway, this is a 3-star book for me. 


Comments

Popular Posts