The month's almost over.

When you add a book to your wishlist in OverDrive you have the option to have it automatically borrowed as it becomes available. I had two books in my wishlist that were recently automatically loaned out to me. The first, Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan, I was fine with having borrowed out. I'd downloaded the book to my mobile device and started reading the first few pages but I soon became discouraged. What looked to be a lot of details of the world-build purported to be a lot to have to read through, keeping track of intricacies and quirks. Having gotten a quick taste of the book, I almost immediately stopped reading but planned to revisit the book at a later date.

The second issue with the automatic borrow option is that there's no respect for book order. The second book loaned out to me was Bleak House by Stephen King and Peter Straub. The book's a sequel in a series, the second book in the series, and I haven't yet read the first, Talisman. So that was a throwaway return from the moment it was loaned out. Because I have access to two OverDrive libraries I was able to borrow Talisman in eBook format through the second. So if I end up liking this first book I'll end up revisiting Bleak House anyway. What I have to do is keep only the first books in a series on my OverDrive wishlist.

In OverDrive you can respectively also select the automatic period of your loan, from seven days to 21. My loan period was set to 14 days, and with two days left on my loan I made the very adult decision to return the e-loans. I was not going to get around to it because there are other books further up on my queue. I can look to borrow it another day. I've also unticked the automatic borrow option in my settings. While that change may hamper my reading goals later down the line, it takes a lot of pressure of me so I'm content and confident that I've made the right choice.

I haven't yet tallied the total number of books I've read this month, but there's a few hours left in the day and the entirety of tomorrow to add to it. I downloaded three more books from NetGalley, all three already published earlier this year. Those are Toward a Global Middle Ages by Bryan C. Keene, The Jumpgate by Robert Stadnik, and Monster On The Moors by J.M. Kelly. The eBooks of the latter two are each less than 200 pages, so possibly I can finish them by tomorrow. I hadn't borrowed many physical books this month so I didn't do a library haul video on my YouTube, but I do plan on doing a recap of what I read in November.

Finally I returned York: The Clockwork Ghost to the library. I always prowl the stacks for books I know are on my wishlist, hoping to snatch up a physical copy. As I wait for season 4 of The Magicians to be put up on Netflix, I finally get to read another, unrelated (as far as I know) book, Codex, by the author whose work the show is based on, Lev Grossman. Somehow I underestimated the time pulls the month of November would bring. On the upside I don't see December as being the same.


Comments

Popular Posts