I love books like this. [Monsters and Mythical Creatures from around the World by Heather Frigiola]

I don't expect this review to be long. Monsters and Mythical Creatures from around the World by Heather Frigiola is a modern compendium of various mythical monsters and creatures from all over the world. With chapters dividing subject matter by region, the book attempts to balance the oversaturation of Western-influenced creatures and successfully serves (at least it did in my reading) as an introduction to previously unknown creatures. Let me not beat around the bush, I'm giving it a 4-star rating.

A love for mythology and ancient cultures that was cultivated in my childhood has persisted into my adulthood. It was a fun find to see this book offered on NetGalley and I eagerly clicked the request button when I saw it. Trying to encompass and present creatures from, generally, all the cultures of the world, (by region, because individually would have been too long) individual entries are about a concise as they could be for a book of its length. At 224 pages the eBook was an easy read, but I did take time to read each chapter in order to let the new knowledge of each region sit before continuing on.

The aged look to each page was something I appreciated throughout. The illustrations, while sometimes feeling cartoonish, eventually grew on me and felt oddly appropriate to their respective entries. Why not a 5-star rating? What I felt was most lacking in my read were individual citations within chapters. The (selected) bibliography feels too short with respect to the information presented. I'd love to have a physical copy of the book. This is the type of book to have in a home library to read casually or to introduce to young readers with budding interests in world mythologies.

Heather Frigiola's Monsters and Mythical Creatures from around the World has an expected publication date of November 28th, 2019.

Comments

Popular Posts