Today has not been my day, but let's talk milestones.

I had an appointment earlier today that, because of insurance and healthcare system logistics, eventually fell through. I'd woken up about two hours before (because once again my sleep schedule is skewed) and I didn't spend as much time as I could have reading. Maybe if I were at home I could have finished one of the eBooks, but the broke girl adventures continue so I'm once again in my happy place, the library, ready to download more Netflix episodes. Earlier I'd arrived but had to return home to pick up the wireless mouse I'd forgotten. So yes, all in all, today's been a trudging day. It's also Halloween, a holiday I don't celebrate but one that marks the end of the month, so it's time to recap my reading adventures of October 2019.

I signed up for NetGalley at the end of September. If memory serves correctly, it was around another period of no internet that I'd started my dive back into hardcover books which eventually let back to eBooks. I don't recall when exactly I finally decided to start a blog, though the idea had been circulating in my head. Still my first post was on October 2nd. That same day, perusing through what I could find of book Twitter, I heard about #blogtober. It seemed like a way to keep myself accountable, keep myself writing, and maybe draw some readers. I assume that's how most people who find the blog are finding it and the analytics support that conclusion too, so I guess it worked.

Writing a blog post every day kept me motivated to read and finish books as quickly as I could. I wanted to finish another book today but I'm doubtful I'll finish the eBook of Monsters and Mythical Creatures from around the World. I'm definitely not finishing A Darker Shade of Magic in the next four hours, but do let me toot my own horn with regard to what I did do this month. I read so many books. How many you ask? Here's the list:
  • Animus (Antoine Revoy)
  • Pivot (L.C. Barlow)
  • Mr. Mercedes (Stephen King)
  • Athena's Choice (Adam Boostrom)
  • Wild About Weeds (Jack Wallington)
  • kimotinâniwiw itwêwina / Stolen Words (Melanie Florence)
  • York: The Shadow Cipher (Laura Ruby)
  • Smoke (Dan Vyleta)
  • Final Girls (Riley Sager)
Maybe if I'm lucky, maybe I read 4 books a month? And they're usually not thick books either, but eBooks, usually YA. I'm in the middle of four book-book eBooks, several on queue, and in the middle of two hardcovers. I'm proud of me. It's been a stressful month and life continues on being stressful but I'm happy to have rediscovered the joys of deep immersion in the written word.

Moving on, in the following months, I don't think I'll keep up with the daily posts. While it was a great tool and motivator my load has lightened and I can use the time I would spend reading through a book for other purposes. That doesn't mean I won't put out regular posts, because I've still got quite a reading list to get through. But if you do decide to keep up with my writing please know it would be a guaranteed daily post. But I do invite you, my reader, to stick around and see what happens next. See you in November.




Comments

Popular Posts