10% First Impressions: Rotherweird by Andrew Caldecott

It's the sixteenth century. 12 gifted children of note exist. Fear of the potential of their potential has marked them for death, but a kind man with resources saves them and secretly relocates them to a remote town, Rotherweird. The story time skips and now we have a plot to dig into the town's secretive history against what one expects to be the pathway of unintended discoveries.

I might have started this book sooner had the page count of the eBook not been so large. 410 pages is a daunting amount. Happily however, that's just the formatting of the digital edition. Illustrations, charts, and a comfortably large font undaunt the task. Going by 10% of the eBook page count, I read up to the fourth chapter. The book is divided into seven parts, each named after months, starting with January and ending in July. Parts are further divided into chapters. The first four chapters are still in the month of January.

The first in a fantasy trilogy Rotherweird promises to uncover a secretive past, possibly even to the degree of conspiracy. Not having re-read the description, the read was a bit jarring. We randomly jumped to modern-day, as indicated only by the context of technology usage. As a random factoid this is the third book I'm currently reading set in England, the other two being Smoke by Dan Vyleta and A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. I can't help but to wonder if this type of mystery fantasy is a thing of English literature.

Regardless to say, with the foundations of world-building established, Rotherweird has my attention. I wonder if it will keep it long enough to see me through the trilogy. I hope so because this genre is right up my alley and I'm always ready to get into a series. Also, the read doesn't seem that daunting anymore.

Comments

Popular Posts